What this recipe is good for . . .
Risotto can be a health trap if you prepare it with butter, cream, and/or industrial broth. Firefly Chi offers yet another perfect recipe for vegetarian and gluten-free individuals with each ingredient carefully selected for its healing properties, without diminishing the flavor and pleasure of a delicious meal.
Pumpkins, like other orange vegetables, are an excellent source of carotene: the stronger the color the higher the carotene concentration. Pumpkins also contain vitamin C, B1, B6, niacin, folic acid pantothenic acid, potassium and fibers.
Carotene protects you from several types of cancer, including lung cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and type II diabetes.
Pumpkin seeds can ease the symptoms of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.
- 1 potato
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 3 sticks of celery
- 0.3 lb grated Parmesan cheese (use any vegan alternative cheese)
- 0.2 lb grated pecorino (use any vegan alternative cheese)
- 11 ounces of pumpkin cut into small cubes
- 1 glass of white table wine
- 2 cups of Arborio rice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- Himalayan pink salt
1) Prepare the veggie broth: cut the potato, one onion, carrots and celery and put them in a pan. Add 7 cups of water, add salt and pepper, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and boil the vegetables in water.
2) In a large saucepan, heat 5 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add 1 onion cut into small slices and also the pumpkin cubes, add the nutmeg, 1 tablespoon of turmeric, and cook for 4 minutes until the onion is translucent.
3) Add the rice and one glass of white wine and cook until the wine evaporates. Stir for about a minute.
4) Add 1 cup vegetable broth, stirring well; reduce heat to low. Once broth is absorbed, add 1/2 cup more broth, stirring constantly. Continue to add broth in 1/2 cup increments as rice absorbs liquid, until rice is cooked. Rice will take about 20-25 minutes to cook and should be creamy.
5) Remove risotto from heat and stir. Add parmesan and pecorino, then stir again. Wait a few minutes before serving.
You can garnish with a few leaves of fresh basil. Enjoy your risotto!